2004 Silverado - "Driver Door Ajar"
Steve
2007-12-21 05:08:03 UTC
This evening shortly after I left home the "Driver Door Ajar" message
was displayed, accompanied by the ringing of a warning bell, and the
interior lights came on for a few seconds. This happens intermittently
while I'm driving the truck. Sometimes the "Driver Door Ajar" message
and the interior lights will stay on for a couple minutes, then go off.
I made sure the door was closed properly, but to no avail.

I suspected that the "door open" switch had failed, but I cannot find a
switch that detects whether the door is open or closed. How does the
truck know whether that door is open or closed?

One of the other symptoms of this problem is that a few minutes after I
shut down the truck & lock it up, the alarm will sound. Pressing the
little red button on the remote will shut that off, but the interior
lights stay on.

How can I disable this so it won't drain the battery during the night
tonight?

--Steve
Marsh Monster
2007-12-21 05:15:12 UTC
Post by Steve
[...]
=========
=========
Unhook the negative battery cable.

???

:)

~:~
Steve
2007-12-21 05:20:42 UTC
Post by Marsh Monster
Post by Steve
[...]
I thought of that, but is there a less extreme way to do it?

--Steve
Marsh Monster
2007-12-21 05:36:49 UTC
Post by Steve
Post by Marsh Monster
Post by Steve
[...]
--Steve- Hide quoted text -
========
========

Extreme??????

wow

anywhoooooo.........

I can no longer be of ANY assistance to you I'm afraid.

Because if you thought that was extreme, you're liable to faint,fall,
hit yer head, and kill yerself over the next suggestion.

And......I don't want that on my conscience.

~:~
MarshMonster
~sips his crownroyal............jeez......todays techs........guess
the snapon dudes gonna be sell'n them "white" mecanix gloves
in a couple years~
~:~
Steve
2007-12-21 05:35:42 UTC
Post by Marsh Monster
Post by Steve
[...]
The good news is that the inside lights went off after several minutes.
I'll leave it alone, and if it does drain the battery somehow I get to
call AAA in the morning. :-)

--Steve
Marsh Monster
2007-12-21 05:39:44 UTC
========
========
Post by Steve
The good news is that the inside lights went off after several minutes.
  I'll leave it alone, and if it does drain the battery somehow I get to
call AAA in the morning.  :-)
--Steve-
========
========

sounds extreme

~:~
mm
~takes a toke~
~:~
Steve
2007-12-21 05:48:50 UTC
Post by Marsh Monster
========
========
Post by Steve
The good news is that the inside lights went off after several minutes.
I'll leave it alone, and if it does drain the battery somehow I get to
call AAA in the morning. :-)
--Steve-
========
========
sounds extreme
~:~
mm
~takes a toke~
~:~
Only extreme because I'm lazy, and it's bloody cold outside. One of my
hobbies in years gone by was building Volkswagens from salvaged parts,
so I can handle the job (disconnecting the battery cable, that is). But
it looks like it's not an issue anyway.

Probly should lay off the weed, dude!

--Steve
Steve W.
2007-12-21 09:58:26 UTC
Post by Steve
[...]
Look at the end panel of the dash. Should be a plastic finger sticking
out. That's the switch actuator. Also look at the door panel for the
plastic bumper that hits the switch.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Steve
2007-12-21 18:55:49 UTC
Post by Steve W.
Post by Steve
[...]
I looked there 'cuz my son's 2001 Yukon had it there. But my Silverado
doesn't.

--Steve
Steve W.
2007-12-21 20:11:53 UTC
Post by Steve
Post by Steve W.
Post by Steve
[...]
Yeah I made a mistake. Sorry.
The 03-04 have a switch incorporated into the latch assembly. Had to
look at a newer crash book to find it. You have to pull the door panel
and take off the vapor barrier to get to it. Not real hard just a PIA.
You might try lubing the latch but from the way the switch attaches it
probably won't help much.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!
JAW
2007-12-21 11:18:44 UTC
I really can't help other than letting you know that the switch is in the
latch mechanism on the door.
Good Luck

I thought the negative cable disconnect was unnecessary (extreme) also.

JAW
--Steve
Meat Plow
Does your Silver have battery rundown protection?
Steve
2007-12-21 19:06:15 UTC
Post by Meat Plow
Does your Silver have battery rundown protection?
Don't know. I bought it used in April.

--Steve
Steve
2007-12-22 22:21:47 UTC
Post by Steve
[...]
The problem has been fixed. Thanks for the help & suggestions! My son
came over this morning and we tried some diagnostic things: Tried
disconnecting the battery first, but no joy. Then we disconnected each
of the THREE electrical connectors (one at a time) that go to the latch
assembly in the driver's door, and identified the one that controls the
"Driver Door Ajar" thing. Took a test drive to verify that the problem
did not occur with that connector disconnected, then went to the Chevy
dealership to get a replacement latch assembly. Replaced the part, and
she's good as new. :-)

--Steve
Jason78
2017-12-01 13:18:03 UTC
replying to Steve, Jason78 wrote:
Did replace the whole drivers side wwitch?

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/chevy_trucks/2004-silverado-driver-door-ajar-14418-.htm