Wasps
William R. Walsh
2003-07-10 03:29:17 UTC
Hello all...

I just cleaned all the mice garbage out of my '84 GMC's fan compartment and
A/C coil area. What a mess. Disgusting too. At least it got the smell out of
there for good.

However...I went back out to the truck and found that some *really* angry
wasps have moved into the vent system. I'd like to get them out of there,
but I am very mildly allergic to their stings and would rather not find an
angry family in there after turning the vent fan on!

What to do to get them out of there?

William
Big Chris
2003-07-10 04:13:30 UTC
Post by William R. Walsh
Hello all...
I just cleaned all the mice garbage out of my '84 GMC's fan
compartment and A/C coil area. What a mess. Disgusting too. At least
it got the smell out of there for good.
However...I went back out to the truck and found that some *really*
angry wasps have moved into the vent system. I'd like to get them out
of there, but I am very mildly allergic to their stings and would
rather not find an angry family in there after turning the vent fan
on!
What to do to get them out of there?
William
If you have an Ace Hardware nearby, they carry a foaming spray that is
wonderful on things like this. It sprays out in a small but powerful stream
(good spray distance) and then when it hits it expands/foams. This foam
clings to everything it hits, weighing down the wasp so it can't fly, and
then within a few seconds the bug dies anyhow. If you are concerned about
getting stung, wear a large hat with a mesh netting over your head, blue
jeans, and a jacket with some leather gloves. Yeah it's hot, but only for a
few minutes.

Big Chris
Big Chris
2003-07-13 02:39:35 UTC
Soooooo, you want him to spray this stuff in his truck vents??
Yep. It shouldn't be too difficult to wipe out once the buggers are dead.
If you don't first kill them, you can never get to the second step.

Big Chris
GaWd
2003-07-14 13:54:05 UTC
Can you explain why you are such a
condescending butt-munch Steve?
Big Chris
No Chris, I don't think he can. The worst part is when he's been called to
the mat for something stupid, he rarely responds.

Sam

Big Chris
2003-07-13 02:44:56 UTC
Hmm, that's certainly a good idea, and I have everything except the
hat and a net. Dunno where I'd get that...I don't know where you'd
get beekeeping supplies...
I'm also worried about residual toxic effect every time the
ventilation system is used if I spray the stuff in there.
William
A cowboy hat or something of that wide brimmed style would work fine (a
women's sun hat). Wal-Mart sells golf hats cheap in this style. For the
netting, any good sporting goods store should have them. Walmart or Ace
Hardware might also (our local Target has them I know). Worst case, get
some window screen and drape it over your head, and then secure it over the
collar of your shirt/jacket (Duct Tape opportunity!).

The foam can be wiped out once you kill the wasps. The can can tell you
some of the basic Haz/Mat info, and the rest you can look up online. If you
don't know how/where to access Haz/Mat info let me know and I'll dig out my
links to this stuff.

Big Chris
Elvis
2003-07-10 05:34:35 UTC
Why not invite a few bud's over fer a bbq and a couple cold ones. then
get on of them to use a garden hose to stand back and drown out the nest.

For best results add more cold ones.
William
George Killingsworth
2003-07-10 13:04:35 UTC
Post by Elvis
Why not invite a few bud's over fer a bbq and a couple cold ones. then
get on of them to use a garden hose to stand back and drown out the nest.
For best results add more cold ones.
Post by William R. Walsh
Hello all...
Elvis, I believe this is the best advice yet. I think I'll have another
cold one.
Steve Barker
2003-07-10 16:49:10 UTC
So NOW we're going to spray a garden hose in this guy's truck vents? First
expanding insecticide foam, now water. This fukkin truck ought to be in
real good shape when you all are done with it.
--
Steve
=======================
Post by William R. Walsh
A/C coil area. What a mess. Disgusting too. At least it got the smell
out
Post by Elvis
of
William
Wendy
2003-07-10 12:27:26 UTC
Post by William R. Walsh
Hello all...
I just cleaned all the mice garbage out of my '84 GMC's fan compartment and
A/C coil area. What a mess. Disgusting too. At least it got the smell out of
there for good.
However...I went back out to the truck and found that some *really* angry
wasps have moved into the vent system. I'd like to get them out of there,
but I am very mildly allergic to their stings and would rather not find an
angry family in there after turning the vent fan on!
What to do to get them out of there?
William
How about using one of those bug bombs in the cab? With the doors closed I
would think that the gasses would get into all the nooks and crannies of the
whole cab, and probably all the way into the engine compartment. Just
remember that the gasses are highly flammable, and the concentration level
in the cab would be a bomb waiting to go off. You would not want to open the
doors for a few days at least. And disconnect the battery for sure.

Wendy
Saxomophone
2003-07-10 13:16:58 UTC
Post by William R. Walsh
Hello all...
I just cleaned all the mice garbage out of my '84 GMC's fan compartment and
A/C coil area. What a mess. Disgusting too. At least it got the smell out of
there for good.
However...I went back out to the truck and found that some *really* angry
wasps have moved into the vent system. I'd like to get them out of there,
but I am very mildly allergic to their stings and would rather not find an
angry family in there after turning the vent fan on!
What to do to get them out of there?
William
Drive it up to the fire department and let them smoke the wasps out, they
got the gear.
Don't forget the beers :)

grtz
sax
Steve Barker
2003-07-10 16:50:10 UTC
OMG!! I missed one. NOW we're going to smoke damage the entire interior of
the truck.
--
Steve
=======================
sax
grunt/sniff
2003-07-10 17:12:20 UTC
Have a beer steve ! or a joint, and mellow out!
Or maybe you should get in his truck and dig out the wasps with a Q-Tip.
lol
youv'e flamed 3 ideas. but have you presented any ?

Bug Bomb and shut the doors for interior bugs. (Good post Wendy)
The vent or drain or whatever ya call it under the windshield, on the
exterior, use a garden hose.

On the other hand if the wasps in your neighbourhood are about 6 feet tall,
and wear shiny shoes, go with smith and wesson. just kidding.lol
sax
Steve Barker
2003-07-10 23:40:12 UTC
Yes, as a matter of fact I did post a perfectly good suggestion that works.
And it does not ruin the truck or blow it up. Thanks for the input.
--
Steve (here to have fun) Barker
.

=======================
Elvis
2003-07-11 00:32:53 UTC
actually steve, I count your name 4 times now in this thread, and not one of
the posts was a suggestion.

Flames 3
repeaters 1.
Steve Barker
2003-07-11 01:22:36 UTC
Well having looked back at the already read posts, I stand corrected. I had
a little issue with Outlook last night and it was during that reply that it
crashed. I'll post my suggestion as a reply to the original note.
--
Steve (here to have fun) Barker
Stilwell, Kansas

=======================
eightupman
2003-07-12 00:09:21 UTC
I saw that movie once too!!

John
Post by Steve Barker
OMG!! I missed one. NOW we're going to smoke damage the entire
interior
Post by grunt/sniff
of
Post by Steve Barker
the truck.
--
Steve
=======================
Post by Saxomophone
Drive it up to the fire department and let them smoke the wasps out,
they
Post by Steve Barker
Post by Saxomophone
got the gear.
Don't forget the beers :)
grtz
sax
Carl Saiyed
2003-07-10 20:19:28 UTC
Why not let the truck idle for a bit so it gets real hot, wear some thick
clothing, turn the heater to its hottest setting, set it to the vents, roll
down the windows, hit the fan and run like hell! Burn those SOB's right out
of your vents.

Carl
William
Steve Barker
William
Carl Saiyed
2003-07-11 06:28:50 UTC
Cover where the air shoots out of with lots of duct tape.

Try the "just vent" idea first - it's cheaper.

Carl
Hello all, again...
Just a little followup to the original query.
I think I'm going to go with Mr. Barker's idea. None of the other ideas,
including even the smoke, are bad ones, but I've had more than one person
in
"the real world" say that using a bug bomb (or bug spray) pointed at the
cowl with the fan on would probably drive the bugs out.
I'm not above shooting Ace Hardware wasp contact killer into the vents,
but
I worry about the toxic afteraffect on truck passengers!
I have no driver's side window at the moment as I slammed the door in an
angry rage and watched the window fall out of the bottom. I probably can't
use a bug bomb inside with much effect on the bugs.
I have only one problem. The truck is a Diesel and as such has a vacuum
booster or pump. I've been told that it lives where the carb would be on a
gasoline engine. Unfortunately, it's broken and as such (per my
understanding) the air flow dampers and routing stuff doesn't work unless
you rev the engine up to a very high idle speed. Air only shoots straight
out the heater outlet--where I haven't seen any wasps. That obviously puts
slight (excuse the bad pun) "damper" on the chances of success that this
plan has.
Anyone got any ideas on that one? I don't see a way to rev the engine up
easily and without risk of getting entagled in drive belts from the engine
compartment.
I'd put a brick on the gas (do you call it a gas pedal on a Diesel? :-) ),
set the vents and fan, and set off the bug bomb, but I probably don't have
chance to test various bricks and blocks to make sure they don't flat out
floor and therefore destroy the motor.
William